Monday, May 6, 2013

Five Months


I'm just going to jump straight to what I think defines this period our lives - sleep training. I'm guessing I have made it very apparent that Riley isn't a great sleeper.  She is a terrible sleeper to be exact.  She wants absolutely nothing to do with bed, or missing out, or being alone...  We usually spend about 20 to 30 minutes soothing her to sleep, and she tends to wake up within 20 minutes after this.  Nights are horrendous (and dreaded) in our house. And this little lady doesn't nap... she is exhausted.  We are exhausted.  So we decided to sleep train.

She needs to learn how to fall asleep on her own, and this means she needs time to figure it out. In bed. Alone. While crying.  I truly feel like I have an angel and devil sitting on my shoulders.  There is my emotional, intuitive, gushy side saying she needs to be comforted at all times of distress, and needs me to help ease her into sleep. And then there is the rational, exhausted side of me saying that she needs to learn to do this on her own or else she will become a two year old unable to sleep in her own bed through the night.

So we are letting her cry, and checking in on her at intervals of time.  The first night was torture.  As she cried downstairs, I cried upstairs doubting everything.  And then she fell asleep on her own. The next night she cried for half of the time.  Tonight, I am sitting here praying (with everything I have) that she will fall asleep easily. 

The first night we did this I told Charley I'd rather be in labor than hear her crying like she was. That says a lot, because I didn't particularly enjoy labor.  I am hoping I'll be updating my blog in a week with a picture of Riley sound asleep after falling asleep on her own...

On another note, Riley is eating solids which is so much fun to do with her.  She's been trying to eat whatever we eat for some time now (and managed to get a burrito in her mouth one day). She makes it very clear when she likes and dislikes food.  As of right now, she dislikes all fruit (bananas in particular), and loves veggies (favorites are sweet potatoes and avocados).  

She is starting to explore the world... with her mouth.  EVERYTHING goes in her mouth, and last week she finally got her toes in there.  

Charley and I are also learning that the vast majority of our baby gear is worthless with Riley.  She finds more amusement in a crinkly chip bag or a half-full water bottle than any other colorful toy. She prefers arms over the swing, and a bouncing lap over her bouncy chair. 

Spring has finally sprung in Boston, and Riley and I are spending most of our days outside soaking in the sunshine and happy vibes. It isn't warm enough to put her in those adorable little rompers that have been sitting in her closet, but soon enough.


































No comments:

Post a Comment