Saturday, August 30, 2014

One Month

Nora - One Month Old

I can't believe it - we are already measuring in months, not days or weeks.  And all I can say is time is of the essence with this post because this is (literally) the first time both babies have napped at the same time.

Nora is doing wonderfully.  After two weeks in her brace her doctor said her hips were fine!  She now just wears her brace at night as a retainer, and will be completely out of it within a week. When he told us this, I think both Charley and I welled up with tears.  We had prepared ourselves (more or less) for months of treatment, so it was a complete shock when he said that the brace had already done its job.  I just feel so thankful that our pediatrician caught her hip dysplasia so early... if they had caught it any later, she would certainly be in the brace and could be looking at months of wearing it.

When they took it off in the office, she stretched every last bit of her body for a solid 10 seconds, and then it seemed like her personality changed and became bigger and bolder.  It sounds bizarre, but both Charley and I immediately felt intimidated by our sweet little Nora who all of a sudden started to make herself known.

She is a pretty good sleeper at this point.  She wakes up quite a bit to eat at night, but she does tend to go down somewhat easily after she is done.  The nights are long, but I'm thankful that I am not bouncing and rocking the entire time as I did with Riley.  Nora's days are a little challenging though because she really dislikes being set down unless she is sound asleep.  She cries in the swing and bouncy chair until she is picked up, which isn't easy to do with another baby to chase after.  I am using the front pack a LOT.

For me, the transition to managing two has been tough. I think the logistics are what I struggle with the most.  How do I pick Riley up off of the table (she climbs on the table when we aren't looking) when I'm holding a screaming Nora?  How do I make Riley lunch while I'm nursing Nora?  How do I shower without subjecting Nora to a roaming Riley?  It really is tricky!  Nora pooped up to her neck the other day and somehow managed to get it on her face, which meant she needed a bath immediately.  As I was giving her a bath upstairs, Riley lost interest in the distraction I gave her and started climbing up the stairs (which she isn't good at yet).  Which was less dangerous?  Leaving an infant in a tub, or letting a wobbly toddler attempt the stairs?  

My other struggle is dealing with the repercussions of spending long chunks of time with the girls on my own.  Charley works long hours (although he has managed to come home on the earlier side recently, thank God) so I am alone with the girls from about 7am to 7pm. I love being a stay at home mother, but it is a long shift and it tests my patience.  Riley likes to push the limits (surprise surprise), and after saying no or stop so many time throughout the day, my words kind of lose their power with her.  I have to choose my battles (and there are quite a few to choose from) which means there are a lot of half eaten snacks around my floor, wallets emptied, refrigerator doors open... Sometimes it is hard to feel like a good or successful mother when you don't have a whole lot to show for it at the end of the day.  At least I keep them alive and fed, right? Even if it is off of grapes and gummy snacks?

Our evenings are the diciest time of day.  My energy is gone, Nora is fussy, and Riley is cranky.  Charley walks through the door and it really is go time until one goes to sleep... and even then we have to pass Nora back and forth until one of us is able to calm her down.  

I think we might need to instate date night ASAP.

Riley has become such a kind, gentle big sister.  She loves to give Nora her blankets and pacifier (and will shove it in her mouth until she takes it... or gags), shush her in the bouncy chair, and try to pick her up.  She calls Nora Wora and baby, and gets very worried when she cries.  She reacts negatively to attention directed at Nora much less frequently, and it is usually when she is just tired and needs a hug or a nap.

Also, Riley is in her parrot phase and is repeating everything we say (with her own version of some words).  Our favorite ones at the moment are "cheers" (cherz), "got it" (got got), "night night" (noy noyt) and "poop" (pooooooooop).  Language development is amazing and so much fun.

Overall, we are getting through this transition and I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  And when I hold my sweet, snoozing baby or laugh with my witty, communicative toddler, I know it is all worth it.

I am way behind in the photo taking department, but I am working on it. I am trying to get a good picture of Nora with her eyes open for a monthly stat photo!
















Nora's Newborn Photos















No comments:

Post a Comment