Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Merry First Month

One Month



We did it - the three of us made it to the one month mark with Riley.  I obviously never doubted that we would, but when you are living your life minute-by-minute, a month seems very far away.

Choosing to live minute-by-minute has been very comforting - reminding myself that we just need to figure out what is happening in the present and knowing that we will get through it is all it takes sometimes.  

During the day, I soak up every waking moment with Riley and couldn't get any more joy out of watching her observe her surroundings and learn to move her little limbs.  In the middle of the night it is a different story.  In the middle of the night when she eats, needs a change, finishes eating, needs another change, spits up, spits up a LOT, needs another change, wants to play, is hungry again, and then perhaps just needs a good cry, my patience wanes and I can't help but doubt my skills as a mother.  This is when I try to tell myself that she will fall asleep, we will make it through the night, and this phase will  pass.

This past week has been amazing - Christmas is wonderfully different and magical with a baby around.  My family has been staying with Charley and I, and we laugh that it takes a village to take care of her.  It has been such a relief to have five sets of arms to bounce her, swing her and love her.

The other day I went through RIley's closet and began packing away all of her newborn clothes - this little one is less little!  Of course the new emotional version of myself burst into tears. At her three-week appointment, Riley weighed 9lbs 11oz.  The pediatrician said I have great fat content in my milk (thanks I think?).  

Although I am wishing this sleepless phase away, I am already wishing the clock to slow down. I can't wait to spend another month getting to know her and continue figuring out what makes her tick (and hopefully figure out how to get her to sleep!). 

January will be an eventful month - she'll get to meet all of her new aunts from the West Coast (and her little buddy Oliver).  This proud mama can't wait!





















No comments:

Post a Comment