Saturday, December 22, 2012

Three Weeks with Riley

Three Weeks

I really cannot believe I have had my daughter for three weeks already - sometimes I can't wrap my head around how quickly it has gone by, and other times it feels like she's been with us forever.

This past week has been incredibly challenging and incredible all at the same time.  Riley seems to love life the most in the middle of the night, so she spends a solid two to four hours awake (usually between 2am and 4:30/5:00am).  And of course she prefers to be held and bounced (a mechanical swing or bouncy chair just won't do!), so she has some very tired parents.  The first few weeks of sleeplessness seemed manageable for Charley and I, but the lack of sleep is compounding...  I wish I was better at napping so that I was better equipped to handle the evenings.  

Aside from the expected sleep issue, I love Riley and motherhood more and more each day. Her eyes are wider and brighter and I can't get enough of them - when she is awake and alert, I tend to stop whatever I'm doing just to stare at those eyes.  She loves to gaze at lights, especially the ones on the Christmas tree.  This week she started locking eyes with us - my stomach flipped the first time she did it.

I thought she smiled at me for the first time today, but I realized very quickly that it was at the Christmas tree lights behind me.  

Although I wish she would sleep when I wanted her to, I truly cannot wait to go get her when she wakes up.  If she sleeps too long or is upstairs with somebody else, the anticipation of holding her builds. I didn't know it was possible to miss someone so much when they are just feet away from you, but it is true.  

I can't wait to spend Christmas with her, introduce her to the rest of our family, and celebrate the beginning of a new year.  This past one has been such a wild and wonderful ride - we got married, got Wes (can't forget him), moved to Boston, started new jobs (mine is at home currently!), and welcomed our baby girl.  I feel so fortunate for the life that I have and look forward to what the future brings.  

Merry Christmas and happy 2013!


This little one knows how to get comfy...

This was moments before she began to scream at a volume that could have shattered windows - she just wanted to be picked up







 This might be my favorite picture of the year.  We tried to get a picture of the three cousins together - guess who wanted NOTHING to do with it.  Not sure if Riley didn't like being naked, didn't like the bow on her head, or was just simply angry at the world. James and Bonnie were great sports as Riley protested very, very loudly.





No comments:

Post a Comment